Pages

Monday, April 26, 2010

Notes on discussion: 4/26

Details:
Barnacle's Son:
I love knowing that Taranto as the most polluted city in the Western Europe, that cirri are not just plural for cirrus clouds, but tendrils.

According to Greek poet Hesiod, she was born when Cronus cut off Uranus' genitals and threw them into the sea, and from the aphros (sea foam) arose Aphrodite.

1954: perhaps: During this year [1954], the seeds of an even worse war than Korea began in Vietnam, were sown as France's Asian colonies collasped into disorder.

** Trombones...
Wynton Marsalis -- making the trumpet "talk"...
"I believe jazz revolutionized the art of music by vesting the individual musician with the authority to 'tell their story' and by positing that an even larger 'story' could be told, by choice, by a group of equally empowered musicians."

2 comments:

Lorrie said...

I don't know what to do with a poem like Somayyah. We went from the more or less academic analysis of the previous poems to something very raw and emotional. I don't think I would have felt it so much if I had read the story on the NY Times website. I think that poetry, done well, can sneak up on you before you have time to close the protective shield over your heart.

k.d. jospe said...

Wow, Lorrie. That's exactly how I wanted people to feel when I wrote it. You're right.
And some would say that's why we prefer reading poems to news.