Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Beloved Father, by Valerie Vullo

 

Inspired by Jen Case's poem of the same title discussed 1/5 and 1/12, Valerie did a beautiful reading of her poem below. 


Beloved Father


Beloved Father 

Spelled in flowers 

Two words of sorrow  

For  

William Vullo 

6/14/33-7/14/21 

 

He lived  

Through WWII, Vietnam 

Desert Storm, Afghanistan 

War on Terror, War on Drugs,  

9/11, January One 

14 presidents and a demagogue 

 

He saw 

Lunar landing, Electron microscope 

Colored TV, Hubble telescope 

Polio vaccine, antibiotics 

Satellites, cell phones,  

Internet and instagram 

 

At 88, cancer claimed him 

But did not rename him 

My Beloved Father 

Will always be my Dad  

 

When I was little  

He flew me on his legs 

Like an airplane 

Carried me up stairs 

Like “The Great One” 

Turned bath towel  

Into Hula skirt 

Invented stories 

Helped with homework 

 

Taught me to play tennis 

Beyond stroke technique-- 

How to win with strategy, 

How to lose gracefully 

 

Took me cross country skiing 

Knocked pine branches  

With his poles 

Always using perfect timing 

To send snow cascading 

Onto my head  

After gleeful warning: 

“Timber!!!!”  

 

At the wake I was surprised by how  

Cheerful he looked 

An impish smile formed 

By his smooth lips 

So cute I snapped one last pic  

Of his adorable face 

 

At the funeral he came to us 

Dressed as a sunbeam  

Pouring down love 

Through skylight above 

His timing perfect again 

As he floated in  

To angelic strains 

Of “Ave Maria” 

 

The final gift he gave to us 

I found in top drawer of his desk 

Meticulously organized  

before his passing 

To ease the burden of transition: 

A note proscribing 

Prolonged mourning 

 

He wrote he’s happy 

In his new place 

Said he loves and waits for us 

His reassuring voice  

Soothed the wounded hearts 

Of those left behind 

 

How did he know  

That at that very moment 

Those were the exact words 

We needed to hear? 

 

Beloved Father 

Dad 

You live 

Time and space 

cannot separate us 

When the time is right 

We will reunite


-- Valerie Vullo

No comments: