Pages

Monday, November 1, 2021

Follow-up with Bernardo: on his poem L.O.S.S., discussed 10/27/21, published in Billy Brown's Fixed and Free Anthology 2021,

 His email of Oct. 31, 2021

Kitty first let me say thank you.  I am a little bit overwhelmed at how to respond to your email to accurately express my emotions.  There is joy, surprise, gratitude, satisfaction, and so much more.  In as much as your participants found other perspectives tapping into the poem, so I find myself sorting through the different thoughts and feelings your revelation brings.

I thank God for creating this vessel in the way that he did for the purpose that he did, so that word would flow forth in the amalgamation of thoughts and experiences he has allowed to transpire that such a creation of L.O.S.S. might have occurred.  The idea for the poem is that if we limit ourselves to see only the physical aspects of each other, (the clothing for the spirit), then we deny ourselves so much opportunity, whether that is relationships, friendship, mentoring, love, family, friends, etc.

I am now compelled to revisit the poem to read only the second lines, third lines, backwards as your participant suggested.  The poem was written in a technique called Black Jack Poetry started by Maritza Rivera...3 lines, 7 syllables.  The idea then flowed into me to lace a complete circle of ideas together to show the progression of how each leads to the other.  The repetition would show (as observed) the fatigue, and the prominence of each thought/foundation of hypothesis to see how they are connected.

As for more of my feelings...story...I have written many poems that examine certain aspects of my experience of living black, and living unconscious of my skin color over the 50 years that I have been writing.  I am working on a manuscript now called "Bridge Over Aggravated Troubles" that will feature a number of these works.  Your email in fact has caused me to think of one or two poems I had not thought to include in that work that I am considering now.  If you wish I can advise you when that manuscript is available, so that you and your participants can partake of what has been given me...as I express in "The Calling".

If there are other publications you can recommend to me, or recommend me to, perhaps that is another way I can tell more of 'my story'.  In the meantime I am grateful for being led to Billy, and to Billy for appreciating my work enough to include me in the anthology, which led to you finding the poem, to sharing it with your group.

Once again thank you, and thank you, and good wishes all around.

Peace In Poetry

Brenardo

No comments: