Pages

Thursday, January 9, 2020

December 18-19

On Turning Ten by Billy Collins
Advent on South Hill  by Abby Murray
Santa Claus  by Howard Nemerov
Noel  by Anne Porter
Eddi's Service by Rudyard Kipling




Caring for tiny things can make a big difference.  Act tiny- Be mighty—Ocean State Cranberries
As we approach the end of the year, I think of all traditions, think of the miracles associated with light, preparations as we ready ourselves for the new year.  I loved how the Collins poem reminded me of how I used to be... how  Advent on South Hill invites reflection to re-set priorities in the spirit of preparation for the new year ahead... how the Nemerov reinforces memories for me of Christmas that was not at all a commercial holiday, but filled with magic, as does the Porter.  (the smallest gift felt to me like an empowering treasure, especially a book! or piano score.) I hear in my head https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nWB_CF3m0c

(Noel sing we), a medieval carol I used to sing with an a cappella madrigal group in Brussels (better than this recording...). Finally, a favorite Kipling, which takes us back to 687 AD and Saxon Days.
Let us be merry!  

We will not be meeting until January, which seems a long way off... 

I wanted to alert you to this possibility that starts at the end of January:
It is a six week seminar that explores "Love and Relationships" in the two works:  Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston, and Parable of Talentsby Octavia Butler.  Literary themes include: alienation and transcendence; violence and spirituality; slavery and freedom; separation and community.
Two session are available:  either on Wednesdays or Sundays from 2-4 presented by Master Storyteller, Almeta Whitis at the Black Sheep Theatre in the Village Gate.  

**
Comments on the poems:
Collins:  really fine  back and forth of trivial/sorrow. ending metaphor: 
Final stanza: 
It seems only yesterday I used to believe
there was nothing under my skin but light.
If you cut me I could shine.
                                     
But now when I fall upon the sidewalks of life,             perfect  metaphor for what we can no longer do leads to     
I skin my knees. I bleed.                                                 what used to happen on the real sidewalks as young.

next big number:  90.  
Judith:  A.A. Milne Now we are six.  
The ratchet of age never slips back.

Abby Murray's Advent Poem:  solstice feel;  what is the difference for you between what you have and what you need to see?  Judith thought of Icicles Hang by the Wall...

The Nemerov could not bring the Thomas Nast portrait Santa more alive...  discussion included...
Santaland Diaries — Sedaris. 


Noel: feel of children -- what is the big question?  Where do we come from. closer to “beginnings” — 


In Eddi's service: 
Eddi's Service  by Rudyard Kipling                   1919 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selsey_Abbey
survival.. 
blend of old tale with  3 carols:  ox and ass.  entre le boeuf et l’ane grise.
What Child is This
Little Drummer Boy
Good Christian Men rejoice

I brought up Charpentier’s Christmas Mass… folk tunes blended with Catholic mass... two familiar settings which capture the secular and sacred nature of a holiday which chases away the dark,
brings an excuse to celebrate... 
Jesus our brother, kind and good
Was humbly born in a stable rude
And the friendly beasts around Him stood
Jesus our brother, kind and good.

"I," said the donkey, shaggy and brown,
"I carried His mother up hill and down;
I carried her safely to Bethlehem town."
"I," said the donkey, shaggy and brown.

"I," said the cow, all white and red
"I gave Him my manger for a bed;
I gave Him my hay to pillow His head."
"I," said the cow, all white and red.

"I," said the sheep with curly horn,
"I gave Him my wool for His blanket warm;
He wore my coat on Christmas morn."
"I," said the sheep with curly horn.

"I," said the dove from the rafters high,
"Cooed Him to sleep that He should not cry;
We cooed Him to sleep, my mate and I."
"I," said the dove from the rafters high.

"I," said the camel, yellow and black,
"Over the desert, upon my back,
I brought Him a gift in the Wise Men's pack."
"I," said the camel, yellow and black.

Thus every beast by some good spell
In the stable dark was glad to tell
Of the gift he gave Emmanuel,
The gift he gave Emmanuel.



No comments: