Pages

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Poems for July 22

“A great poem begins in delight and ends in wisdom” – Robert Frost
This week, a medley to think about what delight and wisdom mean...

This week, I was inspired by a poem Mary brought in, written by a 13 year old -- which led me to listen to U tubes of performance poetry by young, impassioned people and to discover some poems by teens in a detention center. How are these poems different from a "youth in the 16th century" or Longfellow's poem about "lost youth" or the "Boy's will" Frost cites from him?

I Am – Jimmie Mays (age 13)
A Poem Written By Sir Henry Wotton In His Youth -- 1568 –1639
My Name is Powerless – Teenage Girl from Denney Juvenile Justice Center, WA
My Lost Youth – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow – 1807-1882
Selection from A Boy’s Will, Robert Frost -- 1874-1963

No comments: